Monday, July 25, 2011

On Site Painting

















Painting on site without any pencil drawing produces the most spontaneous paintings. Here's a painting from last week.

After letting a painting rest for a while (sometimes weeks), I return to it in the studio and refine it. Sometimes it takes just a little touch up, sometimes a lot. I often take a photo of it and bring it into photoshop and paint in layers on top to plan the next steps. I'll have a photo I took of the subject matter on one screen, and the photoshop version of the painting on another.

But it's hard to match the loose attitude that one had when it was originally created. I'll often wait until I have several paintings sitting around and touch them all up at the same time, once I've reentered the loose painting attitude that I was in while painting on site.

No comments: