Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Rachel























This was done at a Friday night session at the Literary Cafe. I had to use a little opaque gouache to touch it up. I have a tube of Permanent White, a tube of Naples Yellow and a tube of Brilliant Yellow (all Winsor Newton brand) so I can make some bright very light corrections if need be. I'm not a purist when it comes to these things. I prefer to get it right without opaques, but if need be I'll use em.

Brilliant White is the most opaque of the whites, and Naples Yellow helps get those creamy opaque skin tones. If I need to opaque any other color, I just mix the white with the brightest version of the watercolor color that I'm interested in and I can usually get a good match.

You'll notice I let the underlying pencil be. The search is the most interesting thing! If there's an inaccurate pencil line, that's what gives it energy.

No comments: